Thursday, May 29, 2014

Shoulder Hubs complete

So the shoulder hubs are completely done and ready to mount the the frame ( once the frame is actually done ).  There is a lot of filing to just get all the glue surfaces smooth and ready for the weld-on #3.  
The plans call for bolts that are 2 1/4" but those aren't available locally.  Frank's assembly instructions do provide a link to an online provider, I just was to impatient so I have 2 1/2" bolts.  Frank says you can grind off the extra 1/4" but for now I'm just planning to put a second nut on top.  I think it won't be in the way and should help lock the nuts so they don't loosen over time easily.

(The bolts shown here are actually 2" bolts I mistakenly bought first.  I forgot that the bolt had to go through another styrene plate.  Silly me.)


Once I got the frame bits smoothed and glued with the 2 1/2" bolts inserted I added the styrene skin.  I had planned to use metallic duct tape to cover the styrene skin as recommended by a Frank but local builder Mike Ghrula suggested I use duct flashing instead and WOW do I love it.  I did still use the tape to cover the flashing seam.  The sea will be facing down once attached to the frame so it will not be seen unless someone goes looking for it.

I used a small MDF piece with holes drilled through so I could easily flush the skin edge on one edge and also make wpsure it went on straight.







You can see on the hub in the back that I used some hose clamps to hold the skins while the glue dries.  I learned shortly after this picture was taken that while the clamps work wonders appling pressure all the way around, the clamp screw assembly scratches up the Alu underneath it.  I started using a piece of scrap Alu under the screw assembly afterwards which did the job of keeping the clamp from scratching up the Alu skin.

No comments:

Post a Comment